Sunday, November 15, 2015

On Turning Eighteen

On Friday our girl turned 18.

Her deepest wish for the occasion was to have a family movie night with her father and I where we'd watch Frozen and eat Caravel ice cream cake. So that is what we did. She was thrilled, ecstatic, beside herself.

Her father and I each restrained ourselves for two hours from checking our email and Facebook feeds to check on friends and family in Paris.

There is more I could say about turning 18 and having Frozen on the top of your watch list. And more I could say about parenting a girl who is turning 18 with Frozen on the top of her watch list.

But for now I'm going to say less, holding in my heart the parents who lost children in the attacks this week in Paris, Beirut, and the continuing siege of Syria.

1 comment:

audball said...

Her birthday sounds like the best! Sounds like it was low-key and perfect (especially ice cream cake. My E loves that too, although it's Ben and Jerry's by us). I'm so happy she was happy. 18 is a big deal! :)

The news in Paris was terrible. I'm hoping that no one you knew was affected. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Our world is becoming a very frightening place...